Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Recipe Difficulty: Very Easy
Servings Amount: 8
Recipe Lead: A rich, hearty, and healthy soup to soothe the soul when it’s cold outside or when you’re just feeling like a piece of crap.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (add more to taste)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sweet white rice flour
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Cut the squash in half, length wise. Cook the squash by placing both halves in boiling water until fork tender.
- While squash is cooking, in a large bowl, mix sweet white rice flour and salt with 1/3 cup hot water, until dough forms. Knead dough into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain cooked squash. Spoon out the flesh and place into bowl. Add spices and brown sugar.
- Add squash mixture, milk, and 3 cups of water to stock pot. Bring to a boil and take off heat. Using hand mixer, blend the squash mixture to desired consistency. Place back on heat and simmer.
- While stock is simmering, knead mochi ball dough. Pull off a piece of dough and roll into a ball about the size of a gumball (a little smaller). Add mochi balls to soup.
- While soup is cooking, sauté mushrooms in sesame oil.
- Remove soup from heat once mochi balls have risen to the top. Stir in sautéed mushrooms.
- Serve with sautéed mushrooms on top as garnish.
Source: BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND MOCHI BALL SOUP by the Korean Vegan
Words & Photography by: The Korean Vegan